Pages

Thursday, 9 January 2014

What's the point?

Going a little deep again here today... grab a cup of tea and hold on tight! :) 

A goal of mine for this year is to keep on reading as much as I can.  I've set the target again of 1 book per month. Once babe arrives, we'll see how that goes!  Last year I read more books than ever and enjoyed getting into some non-fiction too.  I think that's been Ken's influence!

Right now I'm reading a book by Gretchen Ruben called "Happiness at Home", so far there's been some really inspiring sections, and some others, not so much.  I like a practical book, and she's personal in telling her experiences of trying to address specific areas of her life such as parenting, marriage, possessions etc.  I'm not on the same page with her in all areas but there's some good ideas and challenges I think for making changes towards a happier more contented home and life.

That said, I know that happiness and contentment that lasts doesn't come from a well-organized home, scheduled date nights, family photos around and some well-intentioned goals & resolutions.  Even though I love ALL of those things!  Being content and happy comes from knowing our purpose in life.  Have you ever thought about purpose?  The "So what?"  Ken & I have been chatting about it a bit recently and it's got me thinking...

For me, I believe my biggest purpose in life is to love God and to love others.  I think that's the key to enjoying Life, true Life, today.  But what does that purpose look like practically in day-to-day life?  There's some obvious ones, but there's some other ideas and thoughts that take a little time to get hold of...

Mostly, this looks different for everybody and also looks different depending on the season of life, but, recently I've been thinking in the area of what I enjoy and what my hobbies & talents are, and how this could be tied in with "purpose".  Each season of life is different, but there's always some way we can use our gifts to bless others.  What would that look like for you?  For me, one thing I love is to be creative, to make things, especially making cards.  I also love to send post and packages.  This year, I'd like to take the time to do more of this, I love doing it and I'm hoping my family & friends will enjoy receiving them too!



The Bible says that we're blessed to be a blessing, and I often think of this more in the sense of money and giving financially, but I'm seeing now that it's so much more than that.  To be honest, I also think it's true to say that when we're a blessing we are blessed.  There's a lot of joy and contentment that comes from knowing and experiencing that happiness doesn't come from meeting goals, keeping resolutions, having the 'perfect' home or 'perfect' family but from knowing and living to our full purpose day-to-day.

Just my thoughts, not even finished thoughts, and definitely not answers... I'd love to hear yours too!

vk

Subscribe to Across the Water

No comments:

Post a Comment