Pages

Wednesday, 21 August 2013

Living with Purpose?


 Warning!: Going deep again here today ;) I think you can handle it...

Growing up and going for lots of family walks I remember my Mum would often say, "Come on, let's walk with a purpose"... meaning, lets not dawdle around here!  

This last week I've been thinking about walking with purpose in life.  I'm trying to learn to be intentional about the choices and decisions I make daily, knowing that they affect the big picture.  But what's the difference between living intentionally and living purposefully?




in.ten.tion  
1. A course of action that one intends to follow 
2. An aim that guides action; an objective
pur.pose 
1. The object toward which one strives or for which something exists; an aim or a goal 
2. A result or effect that is intended or desired; an intention3. Determination; resolution

As I look up these two words, their definitions are similar but purpose seems somehow more weighty and deep: "The object toward which one strives or for which something exists"  

Living intentionally is all well and good, setting goals (which I love) and being driven by what you want your life to look like 10 years, 20 years, 50 years from now.  But what is your purpose?  What or Who are you striving toward?  The reason for your existing?  That is the real aim or goal.  That's the why behind all that we do, say or think.  

So, if like me you enjoy setting goals for yourself or planning for the future.  Have you thought about the why? For what or for Who are you living?  




vk



No comments:

Post a Comment