Pages

Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Riding the waves of Joy, Sadness and Amazing Grace...

Photo: Moses Yu Photography

Sit tight, things might get a little deep here, but go there with me, I hope you'll be encouraged...

This is the time our baby was due, and it's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me.  The joy of celebrating with my two friends whose babies were due at the same time, the sadness at the treasure we lost, and the overwhelming recognition of grace as we look back and also see the starting point to the healing of my body from sickness.

Over the last few days I've been doing a lot of thinking, praying and I admit to some wallowing too, and have been comforted by a few nuggets of Truth that I'd like to share...

I love this quote from Ann Voskamp, who also happens to be the author of an amazing book called "One Thousand Gifts".  She says:

"What messes our life up most -- is the expectation of what our life is supposed to look like"

For me, that's true, and in recognizing the weight of the expectations I have for what life is "supposed to look like" I'm learning to let go and live, thankful for what life does look like, in the here and now.

I'm also realizing the truth that God doesn't promise us a happy marriage, 2.4 children and a dream career to boot.  He doesn't even promise us health, comfort or financial security.  All those things are gifts. They should not be my expectations.  We do receive amazing gifts that are given by His grace.  They certainly aren't somehow deserved or earned and I need to remember that and choose to be thankful for what I do have, rather than focussing on what I don't have.

All this is things I know in my head, but it's in these days that I'm reminded to let them sink into my heart.  I pray you'd let them sink into your too.

Love from Across the Water x



No comments:

Post a Comment