Pages

Wednesday, 3 July 2013

3 months. 33 items of clothing. Join me - I dare you!

Over the last few months we've been made aware of the benefits of living a more simple life and are challenging ourselves to learn and grow in this area.  If you've been reading my blog for a while you may have read my post: 7 reasons why less is more  and my last post on ways to stress less.  In both these posts I've been sharing with you some of the benefits I'm learning of the freedom of living simply and owning with less stuff. 

Today, I've finally taken the plunge to apply some of this knowledge in the area of... my wardrobe!  I don't know about you, but this is an area in my life that could do with some minimizing!  As we packed up our crate to ship to England ready for our arrival there in September, we had the chance to sort through our stuff, so conveniently, I'd already made a start. 

For me, I'm pretty task oriented and goal driven, and so when I stumbled upon something called "Project 333" I loved it.  The Project 333 challenge is to live with only 33 items of clothing for 3 months.  Everything else gets stored away, donated or thrown out.  You can read more in detail at www.theproject333.com

The aim is to recognize the "excess" in our lives and free ourselves up to focus on what really matters most to us.


For where your treasure is there your heart will be also -Matthew 6:21

As I sorted through my collection, it was actually a more sobering experience than I expected.  The latest hash tag trend: #firstworldproblems came to mind, while I realized and let go of my too-strong-attachments to much of my stuff.  After all, that's all it is, right? Stuff.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? - Matthew 6:25


So, for roughly the next 3 months, my wardrobe will look like this:




I'll keep you posted on how it goes!

Will you take the challenge to experience for a short time, in just one area of life, the freedom of living with less stuff?  The reduced stress of simplifying things? Join me - I dare you!

- - - - - - - - - - 

If you'd like to know more you can read Joshua Becker's tips at:
www.becomingminimalist.com 
and Kate from The Small Things Blog's similar challenge at: www.thesmallthingsblog.com


No comments:

Post a Comment