Pages

Saturday, 25 May 2013

Bucket List (Part 3): Learning to read!


I do love a good book.  Especially these days that I'm able to actually concentrate again - like I've said, I'm becoming a bookworm!  It has to be a hold-it-in-my-hand good old fashioned book for me though.  Somehow an e-reader just doesn't cut it... anyone with me?!  I came across some crazy statistics though recently from a US study.  Did you know that only 56% of young people claim they read more than 10 books a year?  And that 42% of collage students will never read another book after they graduate!  70% of adults have not been in a book store in the past 5 years, and 80% of all US families have not bought a book this year!  (Source: StatisticBrain.com)

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” -Ray Bradbury

So, safe to say I've been in some of those categories at one stage or another!  But, that brings me to my next bucket list item:

- Read, a minimum of one book per month every year, more if possible.
I'm trying to be realistic here.  Right now I can read a lot since I have time on my hands, but I'm not naive to the fact that life won't always be this way.  I'm hoping that if I can build a good habit now while I have time, maybe it will stick?  So far it's going well!  I'll post some of my favourites in my next blog.  Not only am I trying to read more though, but I'm also trying to read more non-fiction - I'm trying to stretch this mind of mine - it's a little rusty!  


Don't get me wrong, I'll always love a good Grisham novel, but my reading history definitely would be more like a magazine than a newspaper!  If I'm going to spend the time reading, I might as well learn something at the same time (See, Ken really is rubbing off on me!)

So, what are your favourite books?  I'd love to be inspired by what you're reading at the moment... Maybe I'll add them to my ever-growing list!

vk

4 comments:

  1. 'Addict' by Stephen Smith. Rollercoaster read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. vkacrossthewater27 May 2013 at 14:44

    Thanks Sara, looks an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really not fussy as to what I read but I find with having small kids that my reading time for 'my' books is limited. Instead I get to read children's books, always fun to read! I am trying to make more time to read my books seeing as how I have bought so many in the past year but have found minimal time to read them. I think it's about time I tackle the stack!
    Thanks Vicki for sharing, it's always a pleasure to read your posts!
    Love: Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. vkacrossthewater4 June 2013 at 13:47

    Thanks Andrea :) Glad you're inspired to read your stack of books. I just borrowed a stack from a friend and am loving having all that new inspiration! Enjoy!
    Love,
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete