Pages

Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Bucket List (Part 2): Use it or lose it. Collect Moments, not things.


Today I'm going to share the next item from my bucket list/life goals.  If you missed the first few, you can read them here 

I felt like this bucket list item deserved a post of it's own.  There's lots of lessons that God teaches me in life that I honestly don't really enjoy the process of!  I think know I'm slow to learn in certain areas and so He has to get my attention in a way that's sometimes painful!  In the end though, it's always worth it... if you're there right now - be encouraged :)

That said, this is actually a lesson that I've enjoyed learning, maybe you will too: 

- Practice "use it or loose it" with my possessions I once did a Beth Moore study with some other ladies on the book of James and she talked about this practice she has of "use it or loose it".  If she's not using something, she purposes to give it away to someone who will, instead of just hoarding stuff! 

"hoarding means withholding what we don't even use from others who'd treasure it." ~ Day 1 of Week 6 of the James Bible Study by Beth Moore" 

I really want to be someone who lives simply and has a life that is uncluttered by too many possessions lying around that are never used.  When I really thought about it, I was inspired to look at my things and actually look at what I use and what just sits there.  It was quite eye opening. The best part?  Giving things away!  I'm not talking about ratty clothes I've owned for 10 years (they went in the garbage), or broken trinkets.  I'm talking about things that are still nice that I can give as "just because" gifts.  So, it's now something I'd like to do at least each year.  I think it's something I'll look forward to!  

"All of us are accustomed to the saying 'use it or lose it" but, the fact is, we're going to lose it all anyway.  We're not taking one ounce of this stuff with us when we die." ~Beth Moore  

How about you - do you do this?  Clothing can be the biggest area to deal with, do you take an item out of your wardrobe every time you put a new one in like a friend of mine does?  I'd love to hear your tips and stories!

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6: 19-21

No comments:

Post a Comment