Pages

Wednesday, 3 April 2013

More than it seems..



Being thankful seems to be a theme of the year for me so far.  Ken and I had been listening to a podcast recently about 2 guys who for years have been kicking the norm of setting new years resolutions.  Instead, they take time to think and pray about what one word God would have them live by that year... a resolution of sorts.  So one year for them it was "Simplify" for example.  That word then seeps into everything you do.  I thought it was a great idea, and so, already a couple of months into the year, I prayed about one word that God would have me think on and live by this year.  Not surprisingly it was something He's already been working on: "thanks"... I guess He didn't need me to get with the programme before He could begin!?  It had already begun with reading the book 1000 gifts, by Ann Voskamp.  Maybe you've heard of it?  If not, I recommend it, it's brilliant!  Shortly after reading it I decided to start my own journal chronicling 1000 gifts. 

"...giving thanks for one thousand things is ultimately an invitation to slow time down with weight of full attention.  I am attentive, aware, accepting the whole of the moment, weighing it down with me all here." - A.Voskamp

Not only does it make you appreciate God's gifts that might otherwise slip by, it's nurturing in me a new heart, a heart that is thankful.  It's easy to complain and grumble; that comes to us  naturally doesn't it?  But giving thanks, that's a conscious effort.  I think it's worth it!

picture by A.Voskamp

When I got married, my Mum gave to me a book that she had been writing about me since birth.  She's made notes on all the firsts - first hair cut, first word, first pair of shoes, right through to first car, first job... first husband... just kidding!  Last night I was reading some of it, and mostly I'm just scanning for those laugh-out-loud funny things I said during my years from 2-6!  And I came across this one:

"28th January, 1992

Tonight in the bath Victoria was playing away as usual and suddenly stopped and said, "Mummy, can I just say a little prayer here in the bath?"  I said "Yes, of course you can" and wondered what she was thinking.  She just shut her eyes and said, "Thank you Jesus for my Daddy and Mummy and Little Sister.  Amen"  She really surprised me..."

I think I could learn a thing or two from my 3 year old self; the simplicity of being thankful.  Child-like faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment